On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Exalt Paintball Carbon Series Sunglass Case
- SUUNTO 3 Fitness (Three Fitness) Activity Meter Smart Watch [Japan Genuine] SS050054000 Burgundy
- Tropical Island Wave and Surfer at Sunset Pattern Portable and Foldable Blanket Mat 60x78 Inch Handy Mat for Camping Picnic Beach Indoor Outdoor Travel
- Torch head 9 Lamp Head Aluminum Light Glare Micro USB Interface Charging 7T6+2Q5 Lamp Bead Head Headlight Travel Head Torch Waterproof For Camping, Running, Hiking And Reading Outdoor Sports headlam
- Strokemaker Paddles XXLarge Green - Size 5
- Cycling Helmet Adult Adjustable Bike Helmet Ventilation Cycle Helmet One-Piece Bike Helmet(Black+Cyan-blueee) Sports Goods
- Smart Bracelet 3D colorful UI Full Screen Touch IP68 Waterproof Sports Mode
- PUMA Womens Xtreme Elongated Leggings
- Poly Knife & Plier Holder
- Gould & Goodrich B6727 Flashlight Case (Black)
- LORVIES Art Design Owl School Rucksack Travel Backpack
- 14 Karat yellowgold, Oval, 7 x 7 mm, Zirkonia, JewelryWeb OhrringeSet
- LANVIN BASKET DERBY VULCANIZED VEAU NAPPA Size 11
- Bogs Womens Classic Printed Neotech
- Spielzeug Statue Dragon Ball Spielzeug Saiyan Statue BAK Big Devil Anime Surround 23CM
- Emergency Rescue Ladder,Rope Ladder 14 Meters (46 feet) Escape Rope Ladder for Backyard, Fitness Toys, Obstacle Course Training.
- OGAWOO 173 cm Aufblasbare HaiFahrt auf Spielzeug für Kinder Pool Float Spielzeug Schwimmen Ring Kreis Strand Meer Aufblasbare Matratze, 1
- Christmas Decorations Balloons Patterns ECO Aqua Power Kinematic Iyengar Kundini Hot Pilates Gymnastics Hatha Yoga Mat and Other Mats That Need to Be Performed On The Ground
- Unimax 432387007 Bausatz UK Spitfire 1 72
- MSchunou Courtyard Villa Exterior Wall Decoration Wild Bird Predection - Suitable for Most Garden Birds
- (Style 3) - Lixada 10cm 4 15.5g Bionic Multi Jointed Fishing Lure SUN-FISH Lifelike Hard Bait Bass Yellow Perch Walleye Pike Muskie Roach Trout Swimbait
- Oliveo HAUSBETT KINDERHAUS Dalia Bett für Kinder,Kinderbett Spielbett mit SICHERHEITBARRIEREN (Naturholz, 120 x 60 cm)
- Ladies Handbag Women's Ellipse Evening Party Bag Clutch Purse Handbag (color blueee)
- WHITE Patent Leather English Spur Straps Adult 18 Westride
- YMFIE Broadside Sunshade Hat Straw Hat Anti UV Sunhat Foldable Holiday Beach Swimming Bike Camping Hiking Sports Headwear,D
- Easy Camp En Route 55 Rucksack Navy Grey, 55 Litre
- Zlk Backpack Pu Female Bag College Wind Backpack Female Backpack
- Bb5 Green Emerald Velvet Solid Bikini Set Women Cutout Backless Two Pieces Swimwear 2019
- MIRITY Women Racerback Sports Bras - High Impact Workout Gym Activewear Bra
- Black1 XS(23) EGRTFAS Kids Boys Girls Breathable Hooded Baseball Jacket
- Palantic AS105 Yoke Diving Dive Regulator and Octopus Combo
- Camping Bed Folding Bed Office Lunch Bed Multifunctional Bed Portable Single Bed Lounge Chair Can Bear 200 Kg (color A, Size 192 63 30cm)
- Autographed Mike Alstott Helmet Riddell Full Size Autographed NFL Helmets
- Zunblock UVSet with Short SleevesSeahorse, Navy, 86 92
- Adidas Mens Ace 16.1 Primeknit FG Non Stop Grip Athletic Cleats
- Halloween LED Candles Light Flameless Christmas Candles Battery Powered Ghost Candles for Christmas Birthday Home Dinner Wedding Party Decor 1 Pcs
- 1 of 4
- next ›