On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Emmitt Smith Signed Autographed Florida Gators Full Size Swamp Helmet Prova Autographed College Helmets
- Halo 4 Series 1 Knight Deluxe Action Figur
- Carp Fishing Reels with Front and Rear Double Drag Brake System Reel 13+1 BB Left Right Interchangeable for Saltwater Freshwater Fishing, Born for The Big Fish, All Metal CNC Rocker, Light
- blueee Medium 2Pack Doc Miller Premium Calf Compression Sleeve 1 Pair 2030mmHg Strong Calf Support Multiple colors Graduated Sports Running Recovery Shin Splints Varicose Veins Argyle Skin Tones 2XL 3XL 4XL 5XL
- Foldable Camping Mat Pad Picnic Mat Pad Blanket Indoor Baby Crawling Blanket Pad Outdoor Moistureproof Beach Blanket Mat,Light blueee,200cmx200cm
- Cutter & Buck Mens BigTall Big and Tall Cb Drytec Blaine Oxford Polo
- Marvel Figurine Collection 3 Doctor Octopus
- Outdoor Folding Chair Ultralight Portable Fishing Chair Sketch Chair Camping Portable Chair
- Men's Breathable Casual Non-Slip Men's Beach shoes Baotou Men's Sandals Leather Sandals (color Black, Size 43)
- OS1st CS6 Compression Leg Sleeves (Two Sleeves) Relieve shin splints, Reduce Muscle Cramps, Improve Circulation and Enhance Recovery
- Selle Italia Ti316 SLR Flow Saddle White
- Composite Bike Motorcycle Mount Holder fits Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 & 8 Tablets
- POW Wood Dart Cabinet Set
- 2 Pcs S Croch Bikini Lace Up Swimwear Handmade Knitted Bikini S Low Waist Swimsuit Solid Bathing Women Sing Suit C, M
- CKH Peacock T Pants Passion Temptation Female Couple Sex Tools
- Adidas Ozil 8 Germany Home Soccer Jersey Euro 2016 Long Sleeve
- Carraig Donn Irish Fisherman Sweater Ladies 100% Merino Wool blueee
- Songlin@yuan Bicycle Riding Integrated Matte Helmet Creative Helmet Adult Men and Women Breathable Comfortable Helmet Predection
- BICYGO Bike Light Front USB Rechargeable, 1000 Lumen LED, 5200mAh Bicycle Light, Flashlight with 3 Modes, IPX5 Waterproof, Cycling Safety Bicycle Headlight
- CERLYRUAN Wolf Moon Mesh Cloth Breathable Woven Leather Insole Running shoes for Men
- Ring star Dream master Area DMA1500SS black
- Camouflage Netting, Woodland Camouflage Net Oxford Fabric Hunting Shooting Hide Army for Camping Hide Party Decorations,5x5m
- Green Exercise Jumping Ball Balance Ball for Kids Adults
- YD hat Summer Hat, Sun Hat Women Foldable Summer Cap Breathable Bowknot Design Sunscreen Leisure Beach, 4 colors Optional (color Brown)
- New York Yankees Fuzzy Dice
- Black WJL Vintage Ethnic Fringed Wool Female Warm Flower Medium Long Shawl Autumn and Winter Outdoor MultiFunctional Fgreyion Trend Wild Warm Shawl Scarf Gift
- Gore Bike WEAR Windstopper Active Shell Pants, Black, Medium
- Colosseum Toddler Mississippi State Bulldogs Football Jersey
- XTUNWM 15L Outdoor Backpack Riding Backpack Camping Bag with Helmet Cover
- XINGPING Solid Wood Dining Chair Nordic Minimalist Fabric Leather Art Hotel Cafe Restaurant Clubhouse Leisure Backrest Dining Chair (color Wood color)
- 20 Pcs 23.7mm x 15.7mm Plastic Potentiometer Volume Control redary Knob White
- East Carolina Pirates HBS White Vinyl Fitted Car Tire Cover
- Large Padded Pilates Aerobic Camping Gym Thick Non Slip Gymnastics Mat Sports Fitness Mat Thickening Ladies Yoga Mats Pilates Mat 8mm Multi color Optional (color D)
- Bont Riot BOA Road shoes 2017, Pearl White Black, 42 EU
- Double Layer Ingreened Fractal Abstract Yellow Design Light Umbrellas Reverse Folding Umbrella Windproof Uv Predection Big Straight Umbrella for Car Rain Outdoor with CShaped Handle
- Cart Bloomy EVA Unit 01 Neon Genesis Evangelion Anime Unisex Hoodie Men Women
- BH-USA Unisex-Adult 5 16″ Drop Forged Wire Rope Clip - 100 Count 84271, 100 Count
- Double Layer Ingreened Abstract Geometric Curves Shape Line Gradient Umbrellas Reverse Folding Umbrella Windproof Uv Predection Big Straight Umbrella for Car Rain Outdoor with CShaped Handle
- 4pcs lot ABS Carbon Fiber Grain car Window Lift Panel Decoration Cover for 20162018 Honda Civic MK10
- Rocker Switch Round Switch with Waterproof Cover 2 feet 2 Files KCD1 Black 6A 250V 10A125V
- Icebreaker Mens 200 Oasis Deluxe Raglan Ls Crewe Single Line Ski Base Layer Top
- Carbon Fiber Fshing Rod Light Weight Can Shrink Solid and Durable Suitable for Competitive Games
- Helly Hansen Men's Swift Loft Insulated Ski Jacket
- Pyjamas, Womens Sleeveless Dress Prom Party Bridesmaid Ball Halter Cocktail High Low Gown (color Wine Red, Size Medium)
- JL Sport Authentic Brazilian Capoeira Martial Arts Pants Training Abadas Unisex (White with Berimbau Along Leg)
- 1 of 4
- next ›